[cvsnt] Tagging capacity - how many files can I tag at once

kmknox at aep.com kmknox at aep.com
Wed Aug 24 12:57:17 BST 2005

Thanks, Bo and Tony. Your replies cover a lot of the same ground, so I
will combine my answers.

The problem was that the tagging function hangs when tagging more than
1000 files. This is true using TortoiseCVS or the command line on the
local Linux server.

You gave me 3 suggestions:
1) Disable the -c option.
2) Disable the taginfo script
3) Upgrade to a current version of cvsnt.

Options 1 & 2 together make the whole system work from the command line
and the remote client. The remote client fails if either of those two
options is enabled, but the command line option works if taginfo is
disabled whether -c is enabled or not.

I am not ready to condemn taginfo, though. I replaced my taginfo script
with a bash shell script that simply says "exit 0;" and got the exact same
symptoms. The problem seems not to be with the script, but with trying to
pull together the files that need to be tested.

I guess I need to do the upgrade and try again.

Kevin
w. 200.3268 (614.716.3268)
c. 614.507.6423

"Bo Berglund" <Bo.Berglund at system3r.se> wrote on 08/23/2005 10:50:49 AM:

> There *is* a known bug that concerns the taginfo handling that exists in
> 2.0.58 and well into the 2.0.62.xxx series.
>
> I suggest you do the following:
>
> 1) Disable the taginfo scripting by commenting out all active lines
> in taginfo.
>
> 2) Now run the tag command directly from the command line thus bypassing
all
>   irreleveant extra layers like Tortoise etc:
>   cvs tag MyTestTag
>
> 3) Observe the cvs feedback directly in the command window.
>
> If all goes well now then re-enable your taginfo script and test again.
>
> This should show if the taginfo handling is at fault or not.
>
> If you find that taginfo is not the cause (same error still with
disabled
> taginfo) then I should advice getting 2.5.02.2064 and installing that,
> then again test the tag command.
>
> /Bo

Done