[cvsnt] Re: Creating a Shadow Folder

Gerhard Fiedler lists at connectionbrazil.com
Mon Dec 5 20:48:09 GMT 2005

Mike wrote:

> I've noticed a file in my CVSRoot called "shadow".  I've tried playing
> around with this in accordance to the instructions contained within, but
> nothing seems to happen when I commit a file.  I've also noticed there
> are 2 other similarly named files ".#shadow" and "shadow,v" which I'm
> assuming are in some way are related to the "shadow" file.  What is the
> purpose of these files?

I can't help you with the shadow file itself, but with admin files in
general.

You should never work on files directly in the repository (this seems to be
what you have done). The correct way is to check out the module CVSROOT
into a sandbox (as repository admin), edit the file there, and commit it.

"shadow,v" is a repository file (all repository RCS files have this ,v
suffix). ".#shadow" is a merge backup file and should ever only be in a
sandbox.

Gerhard