[cvsnt] Re: timezone to use with update -D option?

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Fri Dec 9 23:34:52 GMT 2005

Gerhard Fiedler wrote:

> For example, it seems that -T (ls, log) is server local. And I'm not sure
> whether -D (checkout, update, ...) is client or server local. (Server-local
> wouldn't really make a lot of sense, IMO.)

-T is client local (it sends your UTC offset to the server to modify the
output).  Server side local time makes no sense really... of course on
most setups it doesn't make a difference as they're in a small
geographic area.

> Well, halfway. every date/time the server returns (normally) is in UTC, to
> me it would make more sense to use UTC for the -D option. The other thing
> is that we need to know for every local time that it is local, and whether
> it's client or server local. And it may not always be trivial to know the
> server's timezone... But that's just me, of course :)

It's not really changable now... it's been that way pretty much forever
and frontends etc. will expect dates to behave that way.