[cvsnt] Re: timezone to use with update -D option?

Gerhard Fiedler lists at connectionbrazil.com
Sat Dec 10 11:12:32 GMT 2005

Tony Hoyle wrote:

>> For example, it seems that -T (ls, log) is server local. And I'm not
>> sure whether -D (checkout, update, ...) is client or server local.
>> (Server-local wouldn't really make a lot of sense, IMO.)
>
> -T is client local (it sends your UTC offset to the server to modify the
> output).

Thanks for clarifying this. It seems that even Oliver Giesen was wrong
about this one...

Is the -D option also client local?

> Server side local time makes no sense really...

I agree. It's just that I read that it was -- which comes back to the lack
of documentation WRT timezones used, and the half-information this creates.

> of course on most setups it doesn't make a difference as they're in a
> small geographic area.

Yes and no. I've been working with teams over several timezones for many
years now, and globally distributed teams are becoming increasingly a
reality.

Thanks,
Gerhard