[cvsnt] Repository and Wincvs question

Mic Julia every_thing_freezes at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 16 12:15:54 GMT 2005

  I saw the following post and thought this might help me with an issue I am having.

  Hi All,

I don't know what the hell my users are doing to cause this (I think it
may NOT be their fault) but occasionally they seem to add and commit
files to the root of the repository.  I have tried to get them to show
me exactly what they did and it seems all above board to me.  I have
made many attempts to characterise the bug so that I can report it, but
I have so far failed to find a reproducable way to reproduce the
problem.  Is it a known bug with 2.0.58d? Has anyone else ever noticed
this happening and just put it down to user error?

I'll try to explain what I mean.
Say I have a repository
/home/cvs/CVSREPOS

Which contains the CVSROOT control files in
/home/cvs/CVSREPOS/CVSROOT

And contains a top level directory for the product we are developing in
this repository.
/home/cvs/CVSREPOS/Product

The Product contains a series of sub directories where most of the
development goes on including adding additional files
/home/cvs/CVSREPOS/Product/src/
/home/cvs/CVSREPOS/Product/bin/
/home/cvs/CVSREPOS/Product/lib/
/home/cvs/CVSREPOS/Product/lib/doc
/home/cvs/CVSREPOS/Product/projects/cust1/config/

The problem occasionally surfaces when my users add and commit a file to
  a relatively deep directory.
/home/cvs/CVSREPOS/Product/projects/cust1/config/{This is where new file
is theoretically added}

And this is where the new file turns up
/home/cvs/CVSREPOS/{new file erroneously turns up here}

We are all using WinCVS 1.3.21.1 (Build 1)
Client: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.0.58d (client/server)
Server: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.0.58d (client/server)

  I have a real simple question?

  Assuming I am in wincvs where do I specify the files that I want to add and how does wincvs know where I want to put them. assuming the repository I want the new files in is:
    /home/cvs/CVSREPOS/Product/lib/

  Thanks,

  Mick