[cvsnt] Setup issue: cannot change permissions on temporary directory

philip reed philipreedtech at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 20:58:16 GMT 2005

I'm trying to get a cvsnt repository going on a Windows XP (Home
Edition, sp2).    I've tried to follow the directions from
cvsnt.org/wiki/InstallationTips , even though I have some confusion
about certain examples in those instructions.*

In item 4.7, "Testing the CVS connection", after attempting to:

  set cvsroot=:sspi:<machine name>:/cvsrepo

and

  cvs ls

I get the following:

   cvs [server aborted]: cannot change permissions on temporary
directory C:\WINNT\
TEMP/cvs-servNNN: No such file or directory

(where NNN is a random three-digit number).   If instead I set cvsroot
to an absolute path:

   set cvsroot=c:\cvsrepo

then "cvs ls" seems to work:

   Listing modules on server

   CVSROOT

Changing the env variable TMPDIR doesn't seem to affect where the
missing file was.     All of this is on the same machine where I
installed the repo; I haven't tried connecting remotely.

Due diligence: It seems a similar question is in the list archives
from Nov 22, asked by Gregory Vignal.    I can't find any response,
though.

Thanks in advance,

Philip

--
*In particular, the /TEST repo first shows up in 4.6.   I presume it's
just intended that one replace /TEST with whatever name is already set

--
Philip Reed, Developer
Positronic Design