[cvsnt] permission denied when users are not admins on the server (using :pserver:)

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Wed Dec 21 13:43:52 GMT 2005

I have a strange problem at a customer of ours:

Server (W2K Server) is running CVSNT 2.5.03.2151 installed from the
original MSI, updated from 2.5.02.2115 (which already exhbited the same
problem).
SystemAuth=yes
Non-standard port.
Repository located in D:\Data\CVSRepo, published as /Repo
Connection via :sspi: works but only on standard port 2401 (see my
other post) which is not desired.

Login via :pserver: is (seemingly) successful.
Upon invoking other commands like Import, users receive the following
error:

  cvs [server aborted]: Repository directory D:/Data/CVSRepo does not
exist: Permission denied

(note that the error message reports the actual path of the repository
rather than its published name)

If I add the CVS user to the Administrators group on the server, all
works well.

I tried to recreate that scenario using VMware machines but wasn't able
to reproduce the problem at all so far. In fact, here it works right
out of the box without any need to tweak anything beyond access
privileges on repo and temp dir and these are identical to those at the
customer's. Anybody got an idea where to start looking next?

Cheers,

--
Oliver
JID:  ogiesen at jabber.org