[cvsnt] Re: rlog

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Fri Dec 23 19:10:57 GMT 2005

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 15:48:12 +0100, Teun Kloosterman
<teunkloosterman at gmail.com> wrote:

>Look, I'm not into this flaming business...

Your tone of voice in your very first message on this forum really
implied otherwise, in fact I sensed an all-out accusation against
CVSNT that your selected web browser for CVS did not work!

Better direct your flames at the authors of the Chora system or better
yet advice them of the proper way to analyze CVSNT repositories.
CVSNT has *never* pretended to be an all-out compatible CVS system
with GNU CVS. In fact CVSNT *extends* the functionality of GNU CVS and
thereby it needs to extend the contents of the RCS files (but all
within the accepted syntax standard of RCS files). It is upward
compatible, meaning that a GNU CVS repository can be migrated to CVSNT
but not necessarily the other way around.

The fact that GNU RCS tools (from 1995) do not properly read this is
not a fault of CVSNT but of the tools themselves.
CVSNT ships (free and open source) with the needed tools to properly
analyze the CVSNT version of RCS files and this is exactly what the
ViewCvs developers adopted and included in their system (as an option
via the viewcvs.conf file). I suggest Chora should do the same.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)