[cvsnt] Re: [cvsnt-bugs] [cvsnt 2.0.x 0000172]: Alias tags doesn't work

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Tue Feb 8 15:07:50 GMT 2005

Rick Genter wrote:
> I tried to add a bug note to this bug, but Mantis wouldn't let me.
>
> The admin -n switch *is* documented in the Cederqvist published on
> www.cvshome.org.

But it is *not* documented for cvsnt.  Even the cvshome.org
documentation says to use the cvs tag command instead.  The admin
command bypasses all the internal checks that cvs does, so it's quite
possible to screw up your repository quite badly with it.  -n is
particularly bad for this as it writes tag information into the RCS file
without checking, hence the ability to simulate the behaviour of tag -A.

admin itself should really go away, but until all its functions can be
done by other things it still has some uses.  Once there's a way of
deleting revisions and changing the revision text it's quite possible
it'll go away completely (since those are the only operations left that
are common enough).

This is all completely beside the point though.  You reported that tag
-A didn't work with 2.0.51 and I explained that it wasn't implemented in
that version and wasn't supposed to work.  That's the end of it.
Starting a pointless discussion about cvs admin isn't going to change that.