[cvsnt] "Floating" Tags?

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Mon Jan 10 15:44:22 GMT 2005

Merrill Cornish wrote:

> We already have a CVS module that includes all of the scripts we
> have.  We want to identify a subset of those scripts as the "active
> ones" so they can be sent to our foreign office.  (I don't know
> whether they will put the scripts they receive in source control or
> not--but that's not the question here.)
>
> It is my understanding of CVS that modules are tightly tied to
> directory trees.  In particular, all of the files in one directory
> tree are in at most one module.  Therefore, we would not be able to
> have all of the files in the directory tree in the EVERYTHING module
> and have only a subset of the files in that directory tree in the
> ACTIVE module.
>
> If we used two modules, I believe we would have to separate out the
> files in our current module into two directory trees.  However,
> having our files in two trees makes it tedious to work with them as a
> group.  If I'm going to have to go to all that trouble, I'll just
> create a batch file with COPY commands to copy out of the EVERYTHING
> module checkout tree into another tree.

It seems you did not fully understand my use of the term "module". I
was specifically referring to what I like to call "virtual" modules,
i.e. ones defined not merely by existence of a certain folder in the
repository but by an explicit (manual) entry in either the
CVSROOT/modules or CVSROOT/modules2 file.

Look here:
http://www.cvsnt.org/manual/Administrative-files.html#modules
http://www.cvsnt.org/manual/modules2.html

and to some extent here:
http://people.freenet.de/ogiesen/WinCvsHelp/Glossary.html#Module

You will see that there is no limit to the number of modules a file
could belong to. The only limitation that exists, at least with the
modules file (not sure about modules2), is that one virtual module may
not contain files from different physical modules, i.e. you couldn't
define a virtual module that checks out both folderA/fileA.txt and
folderB/fileB.txt to folderC/fileA.txt and folderC/fileB.txt .

Hope this helps.

--
Oliver
JID:  ogiesen at jabber.org