[cvsnt] "Floating" Tags?

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Mon Jan 10 15:56:15 GMT 2005

Czarnowski, Aric wrote:

> Modules do not work well because, well, modules are very complicated.
> That's why we now have modules2 which is also somewhat complicated.

Well, they could be.

> Also, modules are an admin level concept and not an end user tool like
> tags are.

I have to admit that is probably the strongest argument in your favour
here.

Might be remedied via suitable client frontends which hide the
"background action", i.e. the checkout/commit steps could happen in a
temp directory and the modules definitions could then be displayed and
modified in a GUI. Not that I knew any such thing existed yet but it's
certainly doable.

> I think this would be hard mostly
> for CVS cultural reasons - you don't often set a tag to a specific
> file revision in CVSNT explicitly but under PVCS we did this a lot.

Well, I set tags on specific revisions all the time.  I thought this
whole issue was about *not* setting tags on specific revisions but on
entire files (respectively their HEAD revisions) instead...

Cheers,

--
Oliver
JID:  ogiesen at jabber.org