[cvsnt] CVSNT,VSS, SqlServer on same box?

Anthony, Steve Steve.Anthony at jenzabar.net
Thu Jan 13 14:44:10 GMT 2005

<originally posted on comp.software.config-mgmt>

Hi All,

I've been asked to consolidate a couple machines, each supporting a
seperate source control system (VSS & CVS), onto a single machine. I
have no chance of getting the different development teams to move to a
single SCM system, so have to live with the two SCM systems. I also
need to host SQL Server on this box (for my bug tracking DB).

So my question is, can I co-host CVS, VSS and SQL Server on a single
box (presuming enough disk space)? What issues do I need to be aware
of? I've been told that there's a strong admonition to run CVS on it's
own box (although I don't see that in the install doc). Is there a good
reason for this? Or is it due to the CVSNT code not beening tested in
such a config and wanting to play it safe?

Any advice/horror-stories people are willing to share?

Many thanks,

 <http://www.jenzabar.com/> J

Stephen Anthony
Product Development Manager