[cvsnt] CVSNT,VSS, SqlServer on same box?

Bo Berglund Bo.Berglund at system3r.se
Thu Jan 13 15:27:02 GMT 2005

>So my question is, can I co-host CVS, VSS and SQL Server on a single
>box (presuming enough disk space)? What issues do I need to be aware
>of? I've been told that there's a strong admonition to run CVS on it's
>own box (although I don't see that in the install doc). Is there a good
>reason for this? Or is it due to the CVSNT code not beening tested in
>such a config and wanting to play it safe?

The only problem I can see would come from giving direct file level access
to the raw repository files.
This can easily be countered by requesting a disk to be used solely by
CVSNT and on which you don't create any user shares at all. Disks are dirt
cheap these days so you should be able to do this easily.

Apart from this the only remaining issue is the CPU cycles to share between
CVSNT, VSS and SQLServer, where CVSNT is very lean except during the short
times it is handling a request (seconds or less normally), it is idling
at all other times.