[cvsnt] cvsnt 2.0.62.1817 first impression

sabdev sabdev_N0_5PAM_ at ibelgique.com
Fri Jan 14 09:39:59 GMT 2005

Hi.

recently I decided to test the cvsnt 2.0.62.1817 (still in beta).
Here are my first impression that I hope will help Tony in his way to
the perfect product ;-)

My test machine is a good ol' NT4 workstation with 128 Mb memory (One of
my old developpment computer that now only serves as test machine for
future CVS upgrade)

Installation :
   * I'm a bit disappointed you replace the innosetup by the (crappy)
msi installer (I'm a strong supporter of Innosetup ;-)). But I guess,
msi is seen as the industry standard by more and more IT. (It was really
a pain to me , because ,as my OS is NT4, I had to install the installer
(!) before I can install CVSNT.)
   * The installer ask to restart the computer. This might really be a
problem because in some company (mine for instance) the cvs server also
serves other purpose and cannot be restarted at will.
   * CVSNT Control Panel does not appear anymore in my settings->Control
Pannel

Utilisation :
 I use :pserver: as protocol.
 I did not had the chance to test it much because everything just went
to big,big,big slowdown (making it near to unusable).
 Where it took half a second for CVSNT 2.0.5xd to log,update,branche,...
on one file, it now takes like 3 to 5 minutes !
 Even "cvs version" command slowed down.
 I tested this with
     - client 2.0.51d against server 2.0.51d/58d  (ok 0.5 sec)
     - client 2.0.51d against server 2.0.62.1817  (nok 3 to 5 minuts)
     - client 2.062.1817 against server 2.0.62.1817 (nok 3 to 5 minuts)

 Any idea of what can cause this deep slowdown ?
 Anything to do with my computer and/or network ? I have seen in the
mailing list many slowdown due to bad DNS, but as 2.0.51d worked very
well I always assume this was OK for us.

 Also one question that's on my mind for a while : what is CVSNT
password agent for ? is this usefull when working in pserver ?

 Hope this helps and thanks to Tony and others for the great work you do
for the CVSNT community,

 Sebastien Abras