[cvsnt] cvsnt 2.0.62.1817 first impression

Bo Berglund Bo.Berglund at system3r.se
Fri Jan 14 12:00:47 GMT 2005

Innosetup installer
As I have told the list before I am maintaining a parallel CVSNT setup
file built with InnoSetup at this URL:
http://web.telia.com/~u86216177/cvsntinstaller.html

Concerning the restart, this is also the case in the Innosetup installer
and is *always* suggested even though there might not be a need for it.
I think that there are only two cases where it is actually really needed:
1) If the installer had to update the System PATH env variable
2) If the installer had to replace a system file that was in use

In my experience, once you have done a CVSNT install and you are
only updating it to later versions, thus keeping the path the same
there is usually no need for the restart.

Control Panel disappearance
This is caused by missing system dll:s. The development system has
changed from Visual Studio 6 to DOTNET and I think Tony is now on
a more recent DOTNET than at the start. In any case there are a few
Microsoft dll:s that need to be installed/replaced as well...

Slowdown
The major reason for slowdowns as I have read usually concerns the
reverse look-up of client IP addresses that is done by CVSNT.
I think there is a Control Panel setting to disable this for testing,
but if you cannot bring up the Control Panel, then you have a problem.

RAM shortage
Another reason for slow operation is the amount of available RAM,
if there is not enough then the machine starts swapping to disk and
the system slows down considerably. I would say that 128 Mb sounds
*really* low especially since the majority of this is eaten by the
operating system.
Check in Task manager how much available real memory there is when
there is no cvs process running and compare to the times when you do
the cvs operations.

/Bo