[cvsnt] Re: Back-merging unchanged files

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Thu Jan 20 17:33:06 GMT 2005

Lars Christensen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If I merge change from HEAD to branch and then later want to merge other
> changes from branch to HEAD, I get an empty revision for every file that
> was merge to the BRANCH the first time. Even if I repeat and merge from
> BRANCH again, I get another empty revision.

You need a mergepoint for every file that's changed.  A merge in both
directions will cause that to multiply.

Merging in both directions like that isn't optimal anyway (it's normal
to only merge in one direction - why have two branches otherwise?).  One
way to achieve it is to ignore mergepoints and handle it manually (using
update -b).