[cvsnt] Back-merging unchanged files

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Thu Jan 20 17:40:33 GMT 2005

Prochazka, Jan wrote:
> However, I also think that this behavior is quite problematic. We
> started to use different branch per different developer group to
> separate changes from each others and did merge to head to create the
> release only. But because the trouble with empty changes we could not
> use it as it was virtually impossible to track down the changes.

In that case you're only merging once maybe once a month, and everything
works as intended - there is no problem with this and it works well.

> The same thing if somebody use branches eg. to separate work on
> particular bug/features and needs to update from HEAD until the branch
> is closed.

This case is merge in a single direction and is a normal way of working
- I do it quite a lot myself.  There is no issue with this.

> We now create new branch after each merge branch to HEAD. That reduced

That's completely unnecessary.

Where you get problems is if you're trying to merge two branches
bidirectionally as it creates a lot of revisions for the merges (in this
case though there probably isn't a point in having both branches and
it'd be better justto have one).  OTOH you should not be assigning any
significance to revision numbers *at all* so having a few extra
revisions isn't really an issue.