[cvsnt] Re: linux client won't authenticate against multiple NT domains.

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Sun Jan 23 16:12:15 GMT 2005

Ayvaz, James wrote:

> However when I type the equvilent command on the linux client I get the
> following
> cvs -d CVSROOT=:sspi:DOMAINA\\user at cvsntserver:/cvsroot login
> cvs [login aborted]: Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.

SSPI on linux is at best an emulation... SSPI is a windows thing really.

It's important to know that it's only NTLMv1 - any domain configured to
reject the older protocol will not work with it (I expect Win2003 is
configured like this).

Linux knows nothing of domain controllers - it merely sends the login
information to the machine that's in the CVSROOT string.  This means
that things like trusts cannot work unless you are in fact logging in to
a domain controller.