[cvsnt] Aliasing with modules2 ?

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Mon Jan 24 11:00:06 GMT 2005

As I'm still getting the "Error communicating with lock server" message
whenever I try to run the rtag command (as discussed in mid-November
already) and as I don't want to upgrade our production server yet (it's
currently at 2.0.51d), I decided to take a stab at modules2 in the
hopes that a module defined that way would not exhibit the lockserver
error. However, I can't seem to recreate our old modules file's
behaviour...

The thing I especially don't manage to mimic is alias modules, i.e.
modules that have a purely symbolic name that never shows up upon
checkout. This was especially convenient for grouping interdependent
modules and performing checkout or tagging operations on them as a
unity.

E.g. if I have something like this in my repo:

Libs/Lib1
Libs/Lib2
MyProject
BuildTools

and I want to define a virtual module that will allow me to checkout or
tag all four in a single operation without creating an additional
top-level folder, I would have used the following old-style modules
definition:

MyProjectPlusDependencies -a Libs/Lib1 Libs/Lib2 MyProject BuildTools

What would be the equivalent syntax in modules2?
AFAICT, the name of a modules2 module will *always* be the name of the
checkout root folder or am I missing something?

Furthermore it seems that disabling recursion using the ! prefix is not
working in the 2.0.51d server. Is this a known issue?

Cheers,

--
Oliver
JID:  ogiesen at jabber.org