[cvsnt] cvs update is not updating

Siegfried Heintze siegfried at heintze.com
Wed Jan 26 05:15:39 GMT 2005

I'm working on a web site for a charity that will help recovering cancer
patients. Our server is running cvsnt for FreeBSD.

(1) I logged in via ssh and performed a cvs -Cd import command using the
cvsnt client.

(2) I went to eclipse on my notebook and used
:extssh:Siegfried at 59.42.153.28/usr/local/cvsnt and checked out a sandbox on
my notebook. This seemed to create a good sand box but I had troubles with
other eclipse settings.

(3) After getting fustrated with eclipse, I used the command line with the
following command to create another sandbox on my desktop machine with this
command:
cvs -d :ssh:siegfried at 59.42.153.28:/usr/local/cvsnt  co lgoesom

(4) After not being able build on my desktop either, I logged in from my
windows desktop using ssh to our FreeBSD server and used cvs checkout and a
lot of cvs add commands to add directories and files. Specifically I added
several directories called lgoesom corresponding to java packages I was
making. I was able to get a clean build here. Editing was very tedious,
however. I then do the following commands:

-bash-2.05b$ cvs -d :ext:siegfried at localhost:/usr/local/cvsnt commit
Password:
cvs commit: Examining .
cvs commit: Examining build
cvs commit: in directory build:
cvs [commit aborted]: there is no version here; do 'cvs checkout' first
-bash-2.05b$ cvs --v

Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.0.58d (client/server)

Copyright (c) 1989-2001 Brian Berliner, david d `zoo' zuhn,
                        Jeff Polk, and other authors
CVSNT version (Jan 11 2005) Copyright (c) 1999-2004 Tony Hoyle and others
see http://www.cvsnt.org

Commercial support and training provided by March Hare Software Ltd.
see http://www.cvsnt.com

CVS may be copied only under the terms of the GNU General Public License,
a copy of which can be found with the CVS distribution kit.

SSH connectivity provided by PuTTY:
  PuTTY is copyright 1997-2001 Simon Tatham.
  Portions copyright Robert de Bath, Joris van Rantwijk, Delian
  Delchev, Andreas Schultz, Jeroen Massar, Wez Furlong, Nicolas Barry,
  Justin Bradford, and CORE SDI S.A.
  see http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/

Specify the --help option for further information about CVS
-

This is really strange! Why is it telling me to do 'cvs checkout' first? So
I go back and commit all my newly created files and directories
individually. I get no errors.

(5) Now I go back to eclipse on my notebook and do an cvs update. I do not
see any of my newly created files or directories in the package explorer. I
do see my newly created directories in the CVS repository explorer, however.
(Just directories, but not the files I created). So then I try the cvs
synchronize command. What is the difference between synchronize and update?
Well, neither one works. Why not? No errors either. (Well, actually, there
are lots of java syntax errors but I think they are caused by bad class
paths).

(6) So (still in eclipse) then I delete my sand box and check out the sand
box again. Still no lgoesom directories in my sandbox. Why not? I delete and
checkout again. No luck. Why not? Incidently, this is eclipse 3.0.1.

There is only one cvsnt repository on the server so I could not have a typo.
The sandbox I'm getting looks good except it does not have the directories
and files I added.

(7) I go to my desktop and at the command prompt (using the cvsnt client, of
course):

$ cvs -d :ssh:siegfried at 59.42.153.28:/usr/local/cvsnt  update

Same symptoms as eclipse on my notebook: all the old files and none of the
new directories called lgoesom. No errors either.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Siegfried