[cvsnt] Re: CVS +Tortoise working for me on my LAN. Now I want to access remotely

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Wed Jul 6 12:27:21 BST 2005

On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 14:46:01 +0300, "Catalin Pena"
<cpena at clarisofttechnologies.com> wrote:

>Now I want to access remotely. I opened ports 2401 and 2402 in my

No need to open 2402, it is only used locally by the cvsnt server.

> firewall to that servermachine. I can obtain the mostly-static IP
> address. But when I go remote, I only know (for example):
>:sspi:123.321.255.64:/cvsnt/cvsrepo

No you don't! One way to get this working OK is to enter the name of
your cvsnt server and its IP address into the
system32\drivers\etc\HOSTS file.
After this you can continue using the name of the cvs server and
additionally if the IP address changes you need only edit the HOSTS
file.

Also you might need to use:
 :sspi:user at cvsserver:/repository
and do (only once) a cvs login to cache the password of that user.
This is generally needed if the PC you are using as client does not
have access to the domain controller via the firewall.

... snip...

>Suggestions? Would a different protocol work? I tried ext and sspi
>and pserver, they all fail, generally saying
>
>cvs.exe [import aborted]: connect to x.x.x.x:2401 failed: No connection
>could be made because the target machine actively refused it.

This means that the cvsnt service is not running at all on the target
machine or that you are unable to connect TCP/IP to that machine. The
error message comes from Microsoft and is grossly misleading...

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)