[cvsnt] Re: CVS +Tortoise working for me on my LAN. Now I want toaccess remotely

Peter Crowther Peter.Crowther at melandra.com
Thu Jul 7 08:49:02 BST 2005

> From: Bo Berglund [mailto:bo.berglund at telia.com]
> On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 11:43:04 -0700, Glen Starrett <grstarrett at cox.net>
> wrote:
> >FYI, Using a DDNS service will automatically keep that name to IP
> >mapping correct for you and be more robust.  HOSTS file
> certainly works,
> >but requires you change it when your IP changes.
>
> But if the server is a non-official IP that may change over time then
> any official DNS server will not have it

Hence *D*DNS - Dynamic DNS, where the provider allows you to update your
DNS A record.  Many ADSL routers now have built-in support for common
providers, such as dyndns.org (http://www.dyndns.org), so that whenever
they go online, they'll inform the provider of your chosen name (eg.
boberglund.dyndns.org - a fictional example, I accept :-) ) and IP
address.  The provider typically serves A records with short cache
periods on them, so that intermediate DNS servers typically don't
remember the records for an extended period.

You can then use your chosen name in other records - if you maintain a
Web server on that IP, for example, and you also have www.boberglund.se,
then you can make the www record a CNAME to boberglund.dyndns.org.
People can now access your Web server, unaware that it's actually on a
dynamic IP.

Disclaimers: All names fictional, resemblance to real people purely
accidental, your mileage may vary, harmful if swallowed, keep away from
children, fires and pets... etc.

		- Peter