[cvsnt] bug when deleting head revision on binany file ?

Nicolas Courtiller ncourtiller at sgcc.com
Thu Jul 7 09:16:51 BST 2005

	Hello,

I recently discover that somebody has committed corrupted binary files on a
directory. I don't know how this happened yet (because the locale working
copy was not modified when the entire directory was committed to add new
files), but the CVS server version was 2.5.01.1910 at this time. The current
version used now is 2.5.01.2007. So, in order to repair ours files I simply
decided yesterday to delete all head revision in this directory:

1) I use "cvs admin -o1.2 fileName" on the first files group that have 2
revisions, and all work as expected. Exemple:

D:\TS_Vision\TS_Librairie\TS_AlgoSGCC\test\donnees>cvs admin -o1.2
julia-160x120
-8bits.bmp
RCS file:
/TS_Vision/TS_Librairie/TS_AlgoSGCC/test/donnees/julia-160x120-8bits.b
mp,v
deleting revision 1.2
done

2) I use "cvs admin -o1.3 fileName" on the second files group that have 3
revisions, and all seams to work as expected. Exemple:

D:\TS_Vision\TS_Librairie\TS_AlgoSGCC\test\donnees>cvs admin -o1.3
fractale-60x3
0_8bits.bmp
RCS file:
/TS_Vision/TS_Librairie/TS_AlgoSGCC/test/donnees/fractale-60x30_8bits.
bmp,v
deleting revision 1.3
done

But I have a problem: in dead revision 1.2 disappeared too !
A 'cvs status' indicate that the head revision is 1.1 and there is no more
trace of revision 1.2 in the corresponding ',v' repository file !

Today, however, when I try to reproduce this erroneous comportment from
backuped files, the revision 1.2 is not deleted (as expected). Because of
this "non-reproductibility" and because I lost files or log that could prove
what I tell, my question is just:
 is it possible that cvsnt delete a revision (on binary file) by itself
(i.e. whereas this is unexpected regarding to the command line) without any
warning nor error reported ? And why ?

Configuration:
- server: CVSNT 2.5.01.2007 on Windows 2000
- client: CVS 1.11.15

thanks for help,
Nicolas Courtiller