[cvsnt] Re: cvs info cvswrappers (SNAFU)

David Somers dsomers at omz13.com
Sun Jul 10 18:08:22 BST 2005

Tony Hoyle wrote:
> It's a bit more complex than that :)

It always is :-)

> info -c: show cvswrappers as seen by the client
> info -s: show cvswrappers as seen by the server
>
> These will often be the same... it's just the mechanism used to get the
> lists is different (info -s isn't terribly useful but can be used to
> show discrepancies if there's a problen).
>
> Early on in the client/server negotiation the client extracts the list
> of cvswrappers from the server, which is added to its list.
>
> The client then sends the list, minus the entries that were sent from
> the server earlier, back to the list, which adds that to its list.

or: the client only sends back any additional/changed entries.

> So the client sees client+server, and the server sees server+client (the
> distinction isn't so important as most processing is done server-side).

The distinction is that a client can override the server settings.

> On top of that, there's also temporary entries from the local
> .cvswrappers files.  These are added per-directory by the client before
> it's sent to the server.  cvs info doesn't show these.

Per-directory .cvswrappers is something that is cvsnt-specific?

>> But.. within my sandbox, cvs info -c cvswrappers is only showing
>> client-side wrappers, and not client+server as expected.
>>
>  From your original dump it looks like you're actually getting both (eg.
> *.zip is there twice) but they're the same - your cvswrappers isn't what
> you think it is.

So... should cvs info -c cvswrappers show a list of combined wrappers from
both the client and the server side? If so, its not doing that because the
client does not request cvswrappers from the server.

--
David Somers
VoIP: FWD 622885