[cvsnt] Re: Version number change

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Tue Jul 12 23:29:16 BST 2005

David Somers wrote:

> Its my understanding (and I could be completely wrong) that introducing the
> new core, rename and database storage, will mean that the repositories will
> have to undergo a one-time one-way convertiont...I'd therefore consider
> this a "Big Bang", and as such would prefer it to be called version 3.0.
> Please. Pretty please.

3.0 is planned.  IIRC that will be the first release with full database
& transactioning support (no RCS at all).

2.6 is kind of interim.. it'll have directory/file rename but still use
RCS files.  There's some other stuff planned for 2.6 as well.

It's possible 2.6 will never go to commercial customers and they'll jump
straight from 2.5.x to 3.0.

I imagine the 2.5.x series will be actively supported after 2.6.x is in
testing, just because it's a fairly big change.  It depends on how many
branches I can juggle at once :)