[cvsnt] Re: Version number change

David Somers dsomers at omz13.com
Tue Jul 12 23:50:29 BST 2005

Tony Hoyle wrote:

> 3.0 is planned.  IIRC that will be the first release with full database
> & transactioning support (no RCS at all).

Will there be a way to generate RCS files so tools which depend upon the RCS
files (viewcvs, cvsgraph, etc.) will still work?

> 2.6 is kind of interim.. it'll have directory/file rename but still use
> RCS files.  There's some other stuff planned for 2.6 as well.

I'm drooling over the thought of directory/file rename.

> It's possible 2.6 will never go to commercial customers and they'll jump
> straight from 2.5.x to 3.0.

Very probably... its amazing that some of the older versions are still in
use (despite their warts).

(Then again, I've come across systems running COBOL code written 30 years
ago that are still in use.)

> I imagine the 2.5.x series will be actively supported after 2.6.x is in
> testing, just because it's a fairly big change.  It depends on how many
> branches I can juggle at once :)

Is there a roadmap for how you see cvsnt progressing? It would be nice to
get an idea of the direction in which its heading (obviously 3.0 will be a
big step... but what will come after that... distributed servers?)

Cheers,

--
David Somers
VoIP: FWD 622885