[cvsnt] Re: build 2040 tag problem

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Wed Jul 27 16:23:07 BST 2005

Tony Hoyle wrote:

> > To see the module as it was originally imported into the repository.
> >
> For that you can use the vendor release tag.

I guess Rick was not using "import" in the literal sense.

Thinking about it, I'm pretty sure I have also abused cvs up -r1.1 on
occasion (though I might actually have used cvs -n up -r1.1 instead).
It is the one revision number that is most probable to exist on any
file (files added on branches and admin -o hacks aside). I think I used
this approach when I was looking for a file that had been removed on
HEAD and I didn't remember its exact name nor whether it existed on any
particular branch...

INITIAL would be another candidate for a generic symbolic name (à la
BASE and HEAD I mean) that does not yet exist, I guess. Like
TRUNK/MAIN, PREVIOUS, BRANCHPOINT, etc.

Cheers,

--
Oliver