[cvsnt] Re: Server Not Seeing Encrypted Connection?

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Fri Jun 10 18:39:12 BST 2005

Glen Starrett wrote:

> SSH is encrypted, it does sound like a bug (Tony will have to confirm).
>  I think SSH basically tunnels to get to the server then runs as a local
> CVS client, so the server might see only the end (unencrypted) channel
> to the server, that's probably the trouble.

It's actually impossible to detect the difference between ssh and an
unencrypted connection like rsh so the server is cautious and treats it
as unencrypted.

The :ssh: protocol understands the -x flag and will automatically tell
the other end that's it's encrypted.  That's not possible for :ext: though.