[cvsnt] BUG: Corrupted binary files

Kevin zzz at zzz.zzz.org
Tue Jun 21 09:01:53 BST 2005

> The cvsnt documentation is, um, a bit lacking.
>
> If I get some spare time I might get around to writing a book (more
tutorial
> than reference) on cvsnt.
That would be great!

> > - What files are affected?
>
> When you did an import over an existing file, as the rcs file was
rewritten
> the -k got corrupted.
I did not do an import but a remove, I do not know if they go through the
same code.

> > If the kopt line was corrupted by the erroneous entry, was this the
*only*
> > thing that happened to the file or was it also losing some data from the
> > binary part of the versions?
>
> Possibly not.. since -k would be sticky after the initial import, so it
> might not screw up binaries... but I could be wrong... that import.cpp
code
> is horrible to follow.
It seems that I can check out the binary files without corruption. I am
still not 100% confident on this but since I restored from the backup and
started using build 1969 no corruption occurred to the contents of the
files.

> > - Does anyone have some macro to finds the corupted files repo?
>
> fgrep is your friend.
10x, I'll look it up and see if I can get anything out of it.

> > - Better still is there a macro that fixes the files?
>
> I don't think so. What you would possibly have to do is pick up the last
> valid -k opton and force that into subsequent invalid revisions. Tony
might
> have some other/better ideas.
>
> Remember its a development release and not yet stable, so expect a few
> hiccups along the way. (Build 1998 seems quite stable: YMMV).
Presently I cannot risk using a development release, stable releases are
enough of a headache :-P I could not find a timeline for planned releases,
is it available somewhere?

I need more information on the bug to be able to identify the corrupted RCS
files. The bug database issue #26 does not give enough details.

> Greetings from Luxembourg,

Greetings from Malta!

--
Kevin Agius