[cvsnt] Re: cvs server aborts with "No such file or directory" on commit option

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Wed Jun 29 08:18:46 BST 2005

LogBot wrote:

> My previous message is below. I figured out that this message is
> actually coming back from the remote server, and is not being
> generated by my client it seems. Can someone please verify that such
> an error would come from the server and then just be displayed back
> on the client? Or, is this the client saying it can't find the given
> directory.
<.snip.>
> C:\testcvs\cvstest\config\openldap>cvs commit -m "" slapd.conf
> Checking in slapd.conf;
> /cvsroot/cvstest/config/openldap/slapd.conf,v  <--  slapd.conf
> cvs server: C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\cvs187.tmp: No such file or directory
> cvs [server aborted]: error diffing slapd.conf

No, it's definitely coming from the server. If you look closely you'll
see that the message even says so rather clearly (it is prefixed by
"cvs server:").

AFAIK most of the messages you'll ever see in CVS day-to-day operations
are relayed from the server. There are only very few messages emitted
by the client part of CVS. These would then typically be prefixed by
"cvs commandname:".

Hope this helps.

--
Oliver