[cvsnt] Re: Repost: setting -ko

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Wed Mar 16 21:33:57 GMT 2005

Nitzan Shaked wrote:

> I would now like to have the '-ko' option "on the files" -- that is:
> I would like to avoid keyword expansion
> when checking-out / updating the files. If I run 'cvs admin -ko' from
> the root of my sandbox I get a warning
> that "-k option does not affect future commits", and that I should use
> "update -k" or "commit -f".

I think the wording is update -k *and* commit -f . At least it should
be...

> I am not
> sure I understand whether or not I have achieved what I wanted,

No, admin -k has been deprecated in more recent versions of the server
(somewhere between 2.0.51 and 2.0.58) in favour of the mentioned update
-k/commit -f command sequence, which will result in a fully versioned
change of the file option, i.e. it will only apply to revisions from
that point forward. Older revisions will still be checked out with
keywords unless you explicitly specify -ko on update or checkout. There
no longer is a way to permanently affect the expansion options of
existing revisions.

> or in the alternative that not: how to
> achieve that.

As the message says:

cvs update -ko filename(s)
cvs commit -f filename(s)

> By the way -- from what I can gather 'cvs admin -ko' changes the
> files one by one. Is there an option to
> set just one place in CVSROOT (the directory, not the env
> variable...) and be done with it?

Only for future file additions, at least more or less. You could add
file masks to the cvswrappers file and specify that they should be
added with the -ko option. Regarding existing files, both cvs admin -k
and cvs update -k (as well as commit -f) work with multiple file
arguments AFAIK.

BTW: Recent WinCvs releases have a macro for changing the file options
of existing files (CVS|Change File Option) via the GUI which will
automate the up -k/ci -f sequence for you.

Hope this helps.

--
Oliver
JID:  ogiesen at jabber.org