[cvsnt] Re: Trying to backtrack to 2.0.51d but getting errors...

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Wed Mar 30 20:22:06 BST 2005

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 19:31:42 +0100, Tony Hoyle <tmh at nodomain.org>
wrote:

>Bo Berglund wrote:
>> I have found one possible culprit, there is an environment variable
>> called CVS_CLIENT_LOG set to this:
>
>That'd do it.
>

>> But don't you have any idea what this environment variable is used for
>> and why it is set to be used even though I use the command line???
>
>It's for debugging the protocol.  Something must have set it - The cvsnt
>installers don't set it... I don't think wincvs does either.

Now, finally I have been able to install both 2.0.58d and 2.0.51d
(after removing the env var and after numerous restarts of the PC)
This is my finding so far:
All the way back to 2.0.51d the tag reset is done in this case:
- Folder checked out on branch1
- File in folder updated to branch2
- File in folder updated to HEAD
Now following a cvs update inside the folder all files are again
located on branch1......

I then found a file CVS/Tag in the folder and deleted it.
Then I repeated the same test again and now the files kept their tags.

What good does the CVS/Tag file do???

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)