[cvsnt] Re: Changing Server IP Addresses

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Thu Mar 31 20:53:53 BST 2005

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 09:02:23 -0700, "Siegfried Heintze"
<siegfried at heintze.com> wrote:

>I'm going thru hell trying to find and configure a router/firewall/nat box
>that will allow me to host multiple external IP addresses.
>
>I was using 192.168.0.8 has the address of my cvsnt host. But, my routers
>want to use 192.168.1.1 so I changed the address of my server to be
>192.168.1.8.
>
>Ooopss, this screwed up the sand boxes on my other machines. So I go back to
>my windows server and change the address mask to be 255.255.0.0 and add
>192.168.0.8 in addition to 192.168.1.8 but for some reason this does not fix
>the problem. I think the problem is that this linksys router UI won't let me
>change its network mask to 255.255.0.0. Now I know why these boxes are so
>cheap.
>
>So now what do I do? Do I have to create (checkout) new sandboxes on my
>other machines? I hope not. Can I edit the files in the CVS directory to
>tell them the server is now at 192.168.1.8? I tried that but could not find
>the correct file.

The existing sandboxes can very easily be changed by editing the
CVS/Root files. CVS is a hidden folder in *all* sandbox folders that
holds CVS metadata including the CVSROOT used on checkout.
If you use WinCvs there is a handy macro that can automate this
change. See here:
http://cvsgui.sourceforge.net/newfaq.htm#change_cvsroot

But I would want to know why you use an IP address as the server
instead of the server PC name? If you use the name then the only issue
that needs to be solved is to have DNS recognize the server PC name.
If you have problems here then don't use IP in the CVSROOT, instead
edit the HOSTS file and add the server IP there.
Then future changes will be fully transparent.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)