[cvsnt] Re: 2.5.01 loginfo problem

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Fri May 6 17:49:44 BST 2005

Glen Starrett wrote:

> That is my *normal* case, the way I have multiple directories set up. We
> have a team of about 8 devs working to different degrees on ~14 modules
> in one project, so there is currently 4 different lines in loginfo to
> cover that.  Again, that's just 1 of our projects.

The normal case is for that to be on the top level, or occasionally one
level down... there isn't any change required in that case as all the
lines are exclusive anyway (with the possible requirement to put /? or $
at the end if there are similar names).

Your case is different because you have a developer deep inside a module
who wants a different set of emails to the rest of the project..  that's
pretty unusual (and could probably be handled better with the watch
system except for its habit of making watched files read only).

>> ^CVSROOT cvsmailer ... to me
>> ^project1/module_foo cvsmailer ... to foo developer
>> ^project1(?!/module_foo) cvsmailer ... to proj1 team
>

> Actually I was looking for proj1 team to get everything from project1
> and below.  foo dev would only get things relating to foo.  The other
> example I gave illustrates more problems with that approach, when there
> are multiple directories below.

The code above is identical to the single line scenario... who gets the
emails is just a matter of how the system is configured.

> My concerns here are not only because of the change, but the impact it
> will have on others as well.  Learning some simple mechanism for regular
> expressions is a LOT easier than trying to learn about adding negatives
> to it as well, and it is more readable I think.

Adding negatives is the rare case when you're handling complex
structures.  I rarely use them myself, even though I know how to do it.

There are already sometimes changes required to go to 2.5.01 eg. the
whole backslash issue and changes to the way the code is invoked.  The
impact of this (in terms of numbers of people affected) is far lower.