[cvsnt] Re: Bug tracker

Luigi D. Sandon cp at sandon.it
Thu May 12 09:57:00 BST 2005

> This seems to work well. Apparently a few experienced and dedicated users
> help out as Mantis admins, but everybody can add new entries and add
> comments to existing entries.

[cut]

> I don't think that this makes sense. Why not allow the reporter himself to
> add the bug to the database? If it's bogus, it's easy to remove. If it's

Depends on what kind of users are reporting bugs, and therefore the
"noise level". In some "environments" it works well, in others doesn't.
I saw several projects already giving up mantaining a bug database due
to the amount of bogus reports, or having to begin from scratch again.
Verifying and deleting bugs requires time, and the user could repost
them anyway.

However, a list of open/fixed bugs easier to search in than a mailing
list/newsgroup would be welcome.

Luigi D. Sandon