[cvsnt] Can't log in to cvsnt 2.5.01

Richard Wirth r.wirth at wirthware.de
Fri May 13 05:42:24 BST 2005

Hello commedo,

Friday, May 13, 2005, 3:24:12 AM, you wrote:

c> user is a system user. I add user in file /usr/local/CVSROOT/admin. CVSNT
c> server still reject the connection with the following message:

c> $ /usr/local/bin/cvs -d
c> :pserver:user at host:2401:/usr/local/cvsroot login
c> Logging in to :pserver:user at host:2401:/usr/local/cvsroot
c> CVS password:
c> cvs [login aborted]: authorization failed: server host rejected access to
c> /usr/local/cvsroot for user user

1. The 'admin' file resides in <path to repository>/CVSROOT. Your path
from above is missing a second (UPPERCASE) CVSROOT.

2. On unix systems it is mutch better to have cvs act on a single
(special) users accout, not giving every one full access to the
repository. So I would recomend to create a user 'cvs', than 'chown -R
cvs <reopository>'. Make all files read only to u-g-o ('chmode -R
0444'), except the files in CVSROOT. There 'cvs' should have write
access (cvsnt will set appropriate permissions when you first time commit to
CVSROOT).
Set the user 'cvs' as the RunAsUser in /etc/cvsnt/PServer.
Add user 'cvs' to your CVSROOT/admin file.
Make sure cvslockserver is started.

Now you should be able to login to cvs as user 'cvs' "cvs -d
:pserver:cvs at host:/repositoryname login".
As 'cvs' is a repository admin you now can add new cvs users via 'cvs
passwd'. Thease user do not need to have unix accounts on the host
(Alias all users to 'cvs' "cvs passwd -a'username' -rcvs"!).

Btw. I prefere to give my repositories a shorter more speeking name via
/etc/cvsnt/PServer Repository0Name.

--
Best regards,
 Richard                            mailto:r.wirth at wirthware.de