[cvsnt] Re: Safe to run multiple concurrent instances of CVSNT client using local protocol on the same machine

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Tue May 17 23:24:21 BST 2005

Matt Schuckmann wrote:
> Is it safe to run multiple concurrent instances of CVSNT client using the
> local protocol?

Yes.

> I've setup a script to transfer our source from our old CM software to CVS
> by doing checkouts (of every revision of every file) from the old system and
> check in's to CVS. I'm running the script on the CVS server using the local
> protocol to make it faster but it's still pretty slow and I'm wondering if I
> can speed it up by running multiple concurrent instances of the script
> (therefore multiple CVSNT clients using the local protocol) with each
> instance working on a different part of the source?

Eventually the processes will be fighting each other for CPU but a
couple of instances should be OK.

Each local client waits up to 1 second before returning, to make sure
that timestamps are unique... if you're running a lot of short commands
it can seem quite slow because of that.

> Further more is it safe to use the local protocol localy on the server while
> others are accessing the repository via the remote protocols?

As long as you're using the same lockserver it should work.