[cvsnt] Re: Server cannot lock

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Thu May 19 19:14:42 BST 2005

On Thu, 19 May 2005 12:33:02 -0500, "Paul Ardis"
<paul.ardis at gmail.com> wrote:

>I'm pretty new at CVS still, so this may be stupid:
>
>I'm running CVSNT version 2.5.1.1969 on two WinXP machines, and mapping the
>CVS repository from the first as a network drive for the second.  I'm then
>accessing it using the -N option on cvs, doing all my stuff from the command
>line.

This doesn't make much sense to me...
Did you install the CVSNT *server* on *both* these machines?
Are you saying that one of these servers is serving out its repository
while the files are actually on a network share on the other?

The most simple, straightforward and easy to do installation of CVSNT
in a situation like yours with only XP-Pro machines is:
1) Install the CVSNT server on *one* machine designated as the server.
   This is just a matter of next-next-nexting the installer.

2) Use the CVSNT control panel to create the repository root at
   a suitable location on the hard disk of the server PC.

3) Use the command line or a frontend like WinCvs to access this
   server from any of the two PC:s. Use the :sspi: protocol for this.

If the two machines are not on a common domain then the only
requirement for this to work is that you have created the same
accounts on both PC:s (same login name and same password).
That's all there is to it, you don't have to mess with network shares,
strange extra command line switches or similar. It just plain works
out of the box!

>I add a test file (test.txt, which is a one-line text document) to the
>repository in a module, and that proceeds just fine.  I then try to commit
>the file for the first time, however, and get the message that the server
>"cannot lock" the file.  I can't seem to figure out why this is, as no other
>processes are attempting to modify any of this, the file exists, and I
>haven't done anything else in this module.
>
>Any idea?

Yes, network share permission problems and locking issues across the
same. See above and redo your installation! And remember that your
repository is not part of the CVSNT installation, the repository is
just data to the server, so you can easily switch to a proper
client/server solution by doing this right even if you already have
stuff committed to the repository.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)