[cvsnt] Re: 2.5.0.1 upgrade cant find File or Directory.

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Mon May 23 06:38:26 BST 2005

On Mon, 23 May 2005 12:58:22 +1000, "Greg Norris"
<gnorris at challenger.com.au> wrote:

>Hi all. I am new to this group but not to CVS.
>I first installed CVS about 3 years ago and most of our developers
>looking forward to using it..
>Last week I upgraded to 2.5.0.1 and now can't update or checkout a file.
>We have modules with over 900 files in them and cvsnt has been great so
>far but after the upgrade followed by a machine reboot I get the
>following error.
>
>cvs -z9 update -- "SSSConfirmations.doc" (in directory
>C:\WORK\Documentation\)
>cvs [server aborted]: Repository directory SSS does not exist: No such
>file or directory
>
>I installed using the .msi method. The Server is running on WIN2K using
>sspi.
>The CVSROOT is ":sspi:SERVERNAME:/SSS"
>
>I expect that I have not read a simple instruction such end the line
>with a period.
>All help appreciated.
>
>Cheers,
>Greg

You cannot upgrade in this way!
If you have an old CVSNT (3 yesra ols is *very* old), then you must
first do a complete uninstall of the CVSNT server. Possibly also
rebooting will be neccessary.

Important notice: Uninstalling CVSNT will*not* touch your repositories
or data files, so it is quite safe concerning your data. Nevertheless
a backup of your repository is recommended for 100% security.

After the uninstall, you can install the new CVSNT version. Please
make sure to use a known stable version of 2.5.01, there has been a
number of issues discovered for this release and they have been
solved, but of course the solution is only available in a subsequent
release.

After you have installed the new CVSNT you have to open the control
panel applet for CVSNT to reconfigure your server. Especially you must
go to the Repositories tab and add all of your existing repositories.
The new CVSNT version manages the repositories in a new way concerning
the file locations and names, basically a repository may be located
anywhere on the server hard disks and named anything you like, so you
have to point CVSNT to the root of each repository and enter the name
of it.

Note that old style naming with drive:\path\path is not used anymore,
you should use /repositoryname instead.

Once this is done you must make sure your clients reconnect and check
out their data again. It is also possible to use a macro to modify
sandbox data to see the new server repository names, for example using
the ChangeCVSROOT macro in WinCvs.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)