[cvsnt] Re: Tag based comments

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Wed May 25 08:20:00 BST 2005

Tony Hoyle wrote:

> Aaron Kynaston wrote:
> > An item that I found useful in SourceSafe (Did i just say that?
> > ;-)) was that a comment could be added to a label (simliar to a tag
> > in CVS).
> >
> > Is there anyway that I can have a tag based comment?
> >
> > I know that I can easily change all of the last revisions of a file
> > to a certain comment, but in every case so far, I've wanted to
> > maintain that comment for that revision of the file . .
> >
> > Thoughts?
> >
> 2.5.02 may have that (or not, depending if the deadlines allow it).
> Since tags only refer to revisions it's not possible at present
> though.

BTW: You once asked me what I would do with properties (à la SVN). I
guess this would be my top use case.

Also, when I said, I would find properties useful, I was thinking about
the fact that SVN also uses them internally, e.g. for associating
timestamps with tags and that is something I would particularly love to
see as it would allow me to create a graphical interface to display the
history of tags for a given module or even in the entire repository in
the same way I can now do it for individual files. I remember you once
had timestamps on tags in one of the development releases several(?)
years back. What's the state on that?

Also, wasn't there at some point discussion about an option to produce
XML-formatted output? At least for Log this would be absolutely great
as it would make processing by frontends so much easier and more
reliable.

Cheers,

--
Oliver