[cvsnt] Re: Stoping CVSNT Server

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Fri May 27 06:44:20 BST 2005

On Fri, 27 May 2005 10:28:56 +0530, "Manjunath N.S."
<manjunath.ns at gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am trying to take back up of cvs repositry as schduled job using
>batch file. But somehow, when we stop the cvsnt it is killing the
>cvs.exe and after wards I am not able start the cvsnt server, but I am
>able to start the cvslock. can anybody give input for my below batch
>process anything i am missing..

THere should be no cvs.exe running at all at this time! The cvs.exe is
only *used* by the service whenever there is a command received. The
service executable is cvsservice.exe. If you have a cvs.exe hanging
around at backup time then either you have a user active or you have a
lost command that did not stop properly and in this case you probably
also have a locked file in your repository.
You should add a kill cvs.exe to your script or schedule kill cvs.exe
at some time before the backup.

>net stop cvsnt
>net stop cvslock
>
>xCopy ...
>
>net start cvsnt
>net start cvslock

My backup system script works fine, but I don't touch cvslock (note
that the xcopy line has been wrapped and that the service name is cvs
because I use 2.0.41a):

@echo off
rem This batch file backs up the cvs repository to Altair
net stop cvs
xcopy c:\cvsrepo\*.* \\Altair\cvsrepo /E /C /H /R /K /Y >
c:\cvscopy.log
net start cvs

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)