[cvsnt] Re: cvsnt server detects changes on unchanged file (with Cygwin CVS client)

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Fri May 27 14:15:01 BST 2005

Martin Kögler wrote:
> CVSNT server detects changes in unchanged files, if they are commited with the
> cygwin cvs client.

It's probably an artefact of trying to break the repository...

> For example:
> I added php.ini-dist (out of the precompiled Windows php distribution of Version 4.3.11)
> to the cvs using the cygwin command line client (pserver protocol):

That's be a text file with CR/LF linefeeds.  cygwin cvs does not know
how to correctly handle such files, and sends them 'raw' over the
client-server protocol (this should really be fixed by cygwin as it
comes up from time to time).

The cvsnt server detects this, and silently corrects the error before it
gets into the repository (where it would be potentially fatal - as in
'delete and start again' fatal).  Normally that'd produce the same file
but I can imagine cases where it'd not produce the same file, such as
files that were already partially corrupted (CRCRLF or similar).

Do not mix cygwin cvs and Windows cvs sandboxes.  cygwin cvs should only
be used to checkin cygwin (Unix LF) files.  cgywin is a separate
environment and should be treated as such.

To be safe, it's better to uninstall cygwin cvs if you're not working
exclusively with Unix files.