[cvsnt] Re: Cannot access CVSNT repository at all

Bo Berglund Bo.Berglund at system3r.se
Fri May 27 15:18:07 BST 2005

Yo can perfectly well name a repository anything you like, but for
simplicity it is recommended to use /<identifier>.
Since <identifier> does not need any connection whatever to the
actual physical file system path of the repository you are completely
free to name it anything you like.
I have a test repository which resides at F:\CVSREPOS\Bosse and I have
defined *two* repositories in CVSNT which both point to this single
location but are named /Bosse and /Korvkiosk respectively.
This works perfectly well, I can check out code from either one and
work with it as I like.

One notice: *DON'T* put an ending / in the name of a repository,
this will break a number of clients and make things difficult.

PROTOCOLS
----------
Please be aware that when you specify :local: then you are telling your
*client* program to go directly to the repository files and dig into
them, thereby completely bypassing the CVSNT server!
And since the naming scheme mentioned above is a configuration of the
server itself, you cannot use these names for the local access.
So you need to specify a physical path.

Concerning :pserver: access, it is more complex than :sspi:
I think that you should start out using :sspi: on the remote client.
When you got that working (first test it from the server PC itself)
then you can add the pserver users with the cvs passwd command (look
up the syntax for this in the helpfile) and set their cvs passwords.
If the cvs users do not exist as users on the server machine then you
must also alias these users to an existing account using the cvs passwd
command.
Only after all of this groundwork has been done are you going to be able
to use the :pserver: protocol to connect.

Notice the correct syntax for this:
  :pserver:user at server:/repositoryname
You have to specify the user and the user must exist as a login in the
passwd file and be aliased to an existing user if it is not a valid user
account on the server.

/bo