[cvsnt] Re: How to commit large Outlook.pst file?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Thu Nov 10 06:57:40 GMT 2005

On Wed, 9 Nov 2005 22:50:54 -0700, "Siegfried Heintze"
<siegfried at heintze.com> wrote:

>I have a large file called Outlook.pst. I created it using  the  "cvs -d
>:pserver:siegfried at 127.0.0.1/CVS_Outlook  add -kBox Outlook.pst".

Good heavens! Don't ever add an Outlook pst file to CVS! It will
probably kill the system totally.
Do you realize that a pst file will grow and grow and grow and if you
add it to CVS the RCS file in the repository will grow even quicker,
it will add the size of the pst file every time you commit.

My pst files (I have several) are all in the renge 500 Mb to 1.6 Mb
and having them inside CVS would slow CVS to a crawl if it could even
cope with them. For each operation CVS needs to load about two copies
of the RCS file into physical RAM, do you have that amount of RAM on
your server? We are talking multi-gigabytes of RAM now.

A binary file is *possible* to handle in CVS but is not what CVS was
built for. CVS is really for handfling software *source* files in text
format....

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)