[cvsnt] mirror/synchronize cvs repositories (CVSNTUpd) ?

Gerhard Fiedler lists at connectionbrazil.com
Tue Nov 29 15:36:56 GMT 2005

Tony Hoyle wrote:

> If the supplier was in a less developed country (south america perhaps..
> not india as that has a good IT infrastructure nowadays) I could imagine
> it... in which case it's kind of understandable, but then you'd be
> dealing with dialup speeds anyway, and a local server isn't going to
> gain you a lot since even the synchronisation is going to be slow.

I don't see it that way. 50 kb/s transfers more than 5 kB/s, which is 18
MB/h. Can be done when nobody is working (8 hours of sleep give you time
for 140 MB, which is quite a lot if we're talking sources, and I'm not even
counting on compression, which is likely to be more than a factor of 2 for
sources), and provides full LAN speed read-only access at other times. Is
not fully real-time, but may not have to be. So when you have only slow
(dial-up) access to a server is IMO exactly one of the situations where a
mirrored repository can make sense.

Even with a good infrastructure, people may have a server on a LAN behind
an ADSL connection with very poor upload speeds. Getting a decent two-way
connection or renting a dedicated server with a good connection in many
places costs more than an additional programmer on the team...

Gerhard