[cvsnt] Re: Cannot run command against CVSNT server

Jakob Kruse kruse at kruse-net.dk
Fri Oct 7 09:19:02 BST 2005

Same problem here, after upgrading server from 2.0 to 2.5.

I made a small test: Put a couple different versions of CVS executables on a
USB key, plugged it into every machine I could get my hands on and tested.
Results are non-conclusive. On 3 of the machines I have tested, every
connection attempt fails with "Error reading from server localhost: -1:
Unknown error". On 4 other machines everything works.

FAQ suggests firewall and/or antivirus software is to blame. That seems
unlikely from my test. The 7 machines use various software, but the same
antivirus and firewall software is found on both working and not-working
machines.

One interesting fact is that when testing from the actual server (which is
an XP Pro SP2) it doesn't work with the "normal" (global) CVSROOT (using
external server name), but it works fine if I change CVSROOT to use
"localhost".

All tests have been done using sspi, not pserver as below.

/Jakob

news:dhm9k1$a0i$1 at paris.nodomain.org...