[cvsnt] Re: commit problem

kmknox at aep.com kmknox at aep.com
Fri Oct 7 21:49:36 BST 2005

I have been working with Brian on this, and we are both stumped. We are
scheduled to migrate from 2.0.58d to 2.5.0.2 on Monday, so we have had to
kludge a solution.

Our problem is that the loginfo file is failing to log, and throwing an
error, "Exec failed: No such file or directory". With 2.0.58d, the line
provided in the comments of the loginfo file worked beautifully when
uncommented (On Redhat 9 running in bash):
DEFAULT (echo ""; id; echo %{sVv}; date; cat) >>
$CVSROOT/CVSROOT/commitlog

It now errors with: "Exec failed: No such file or directory"

We upgraded our test server to 2.5.02 (build 2099 I believe) and now that
line does not work. We cannot figure out what file loginfo cannot find.
When we downgrade back to 2.0.58d, the line works as written again. We
have tried absolute paths everywhere, to no avail. All of the paths are
correct, and can all be seen by loginfo. We run "DEFAULT cat ...." and it
prints every file, so it can see them just fine.

We have tried dozens of things trying to figure out where the problem is.
For the world it looks like the parentheses are breaking the system. When
we change the loginfo line to read:
DEFAULT echo "text" - the word "text" is echoed to the screen during the
commit dialogue. This is a good, if pointless, thing.
DEFAULT (echo "text") - however, errors out with "Exec failed: No such
file or directory"

Nothing changed in our environment. Bash is configured exactly the same
way after the upgrade as before. Some of the other trials we have run seem
to indicate that whatever file parses the input parameters from the
loginfo script is parsing them differently now.

We finally kludged a solution by having loginfo call a shell script that
does exactly what the loginfo file used to do on its own. That kind of
chaining should be unnecessary, though. We would like to understand where
the problem might actually lie.

Thank you all,

----
Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't have time to make them all
yourself. (time-tested advice to pilots)

Kevin
w. 200.3268 (614.716.3268)
c. 614.507.6423