[cvsnt] Re: CVS for Oracle forms.

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Wed Oct 12 06:41:36 BST 2005

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 08:50:21 +0400, Vinay Jhumun
<ljhumun at sil.intnet.mu> wrote:

>Hi,
>Can anyone help me plz,
>Well, i hve a CVSNT server installed on a Windows 2003 server,
>and i hve developers working on oracle forms,
>
>my question is can they use cvs for the configuration management, can
>they put their forms, i.e the .fmd and .fmx on the cvs,
>and can two developers work on the same form, etc,

I don't know the format of Oracle form files, but of course you can
version control them with CVS. The functionality will depend on the
file format though:

1. If the files are text files:
No problems here, people can work in parallel on the same files even
and CVS will help them consolidate their respective work.

2. If the files are binary:
This is harder because CVS cannot do any consolidation (merging) of
work done at the same time by several people. In this case you must
set up your server to use "reserved edits", which means that only one
developer at a time can edit the file. Of course all developers can
have a working copy of all files, but they will be readonly for all
but the editor. Noone else can start an edit session until the file
has been committed from the one who has it in edit state.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)