[cvsnt] Re: CVSNT 2.6 database engine?

Luigi D. Sandon cp at sandon.it
Sun Oct 23 17:37:37 BST 2005

> Oracle downloads are free for development

The license for free downloads is indeed more restrictive:

"You may not:
- use the programs for your own internal data processing or for any
commercial or production purposes, or use the programs for any purpose
except the development of a *single prototype* of your application;"

"Bold" is mine, one can't develop more than one single prototype. There is
the Oracle Partner Program that - AFAIK  - allows to use multiple
development/demo licenses, paying about $1500 per year.

> OTOH I think it's too complex for most people... I'd expect people who
> used that to be using it internally & have a trained DBA already.

Oracle is a big beast... not the DB one uses when needing something small
and simple. It's becoming much easier to administer, anyway.

> It's really not an either/or choice... the database API is quite simple

Good.

--
Luigi D. Sandon