[cvsnt] Syncing of 2 CVSNT repositories

Bo Berglund Bo.Berglund at system3r.se
Mon Oct 24 16:02:10 BST 2005

1. If you have already read an answer and you are not satisfied with
the contents of it, then just sending the original question
again will cause just the kind of response you received. You should
at least tell that you *had* read the previous reply and that you need
some expansion to the reply or that you disagree or whatever....

2. *How* you "sync" your 2 repositories (or rather CVS servers) is
entirely up to you yourself. There is no built-in method or function
to do this for you. The CVS repository is a file/folder system that
mimics the project structures (in a typical case) and "syncing" in
this context means taking a file system snapshot at a given time and
copying that over to the secondary server. For example once a day or so.
This is what SourceForge is doing for example with their mirrors.

3. Moving from VSS to CVSNT requires some automation to be sure.
I am assuming you want to keep the project history also in CVS.
For this there is a script called vss2cvs.pl that you can find on
the web. It automates the copying of files and folders from VSS
into CVSNT somehow. I have not used it myself, but a guess is that
it checks out files from VSS and commits to CVS a revision at a time.

4. Web Client
If you mean a client from which you can do all operations then you
will not find one, at least not one that is maintained like the server
itself is.
But for what do you need this? Surely a front-end like WinCvs is plenty
good enough. With that you can easily perform all your daily tasks
with a graphic interface and no knowledge of the underlying cvs commands.

/Bo